Oct 19, 2012

Riley's birth story


Riley was in a breech position so my dr scheduled a c section for the 12th of October at noon. Since I was 39 weeks along and not much amniotic fluid my dr said there is a slim chance he could still move head down but not likely. i had been doing exercises since i was 34 weeks that were to help move baby head down but riley was happy where he was. We joked around saying riley likes to sit and spin in circles on his bum :) We did an ultra sound the day of the c section to confirm he was still breech and found that he had turned transverse meaning he was laying on his side with his back on top of my cervix. I went in to be prepped for the c section about 1:00 i started shaking because i was scared and the nurse did what she could to calm me down. i cried while being prepped (cory had not joined me yet in the room) so i was alone. i cried again when they had put the sheet up blocking my view. it was a hard experience. at 1:35 Riley was born. He did great and I got to see him for a short moment before they took him to the nursery. The c section for me is something I hope to never experience again. I had a spinal block so I wouldn't feel the cutting. When it came to the time of my dr delivering Riley out I could feel intense pulling and tugging which hurt badly. I could hear riley cry when he was born but was not able to see him right away or touch him as you can with a vaginal birth. it was hard. they gave me morphine but I didn't respond to it. I could feel pressure on my chest and learned that my dr had put my uterus on top of me and was sewing it shut. When I was sewn shut t I was taken to a recovery room to help manage my pain and I still wasn't responding to the pain meds they kept giving me morphine and others hoping to relieve the pain and finally were able to get it down to a level 5 pain scale 1-10. All the drugs had made me sick to the point of vomiting and Cory and my father in law Wendell gave me a blessing. When Riley was born his glucose was at a 29 which is bad so they had him on an IV I nursed him regularly and his glucose levels began to rise :) and before we left the hospital his number was at 85 which is great! Things have been going well at home and we have gotten some great support from family friends and the ward. My mom stayed with to help out for the week which I'm truly grateful for all the time and service she has put into me and my family. My mother in law and sister in law came down for the day to visit and help out which im also truly grateful for. I am feeling much better and love having a boy! Nursing is going great and this is my first time doing it! were all happy to have little Riley with us I love my little man so much he truly has a hold on my heart that can't be explained.
Love to all
Stacey

5 comments:

  1. Congratulation on your new little man... I fear c-sections so much with each pregnancy... I'm happy that you are nursing your little man... It really is the best thing for him and you... =) I'm glad your family is able to help support you and your hubby with this new one =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story. I am sorry it was so rough. C-sections can be really hard. But I am glad that both you and baby are doing well. Love ya and can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That delivery doesn't sound very pleasant at all. So glad that you and Riley are healthy and doing well. Wishing I was closer so I could see you all. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the memories. The first one is so emotional and hard. I remember. I am glad that you are doing better though. He is one handsome dude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah Stace, what can I say....it was been a blessing to me to be here with you, Cory and the kids the past two weeks. I have loved every moment.... holding my new very special little grandson and spending time with the girls; how very sweet they are!! You are loved so much and I am so grateful to be here and share such a sacred and happy time in you and Corys life. Hugs, hugs and more hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete